Monday, September 19, 2011

The True Tale of a Rotary Phone


A few months ago I found this rotary phone. I immediately coveted, but could not afford one. So I decided that I would either look for a coloured rotary phone, or find a beige one to paint, as has been done for the Anthropologie model. My dad, an avid yard saler, (which is so obviously a word, spell checker), helped me with my search. It didn't take him long to stumble upon a table with not one, but two, beige rotary phones. He asked the man if he had any coloured ones, and sure enough, he had this green one inside. So my dad walked away with this beauty for me for $12.
It just so happened that my grandma, (his mother), was also having a yard sale that day. When he stopped by at grandma's sale, he told her about the phone. Well, it turns out grandma had sold a green rotary phone to a man for $3. When my dad looked at my "new" phone, there was grandma's number in the centre, where I have now place the little picture of the bird. So that is the story of how I got my (grandma's) rotary phone. It has a cool ring, and a good story, if you ask me.

3 comments:

  1. I love hearing stories like this! It really shows what a small world we live in! Great photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome! I would love a powder blue rotary phone...we'll see if I get as lucky as you. Great idea on painting one though. Btw, thanks for your very sweet comment on my blog, I'm *so* self conscious of self portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. My parents still have (and use) rotary phone. They think that touch tone (and the fees associated) are a rip off... Growing up I was the only kid that still used pulse. Sure made using dialup internet a little more difficult.

    ReplyDelete